Rustic German Apple Pancake
Rustic German Apple Pancake Recipe
By June 21, 2015Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
[vc_row][vc_column width="1/1"][vc_column_text disable_pattern="true" align="left" …
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 3 green apples, unpeeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup stevia
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup egg whites (from about 7 eggs, preferably cage free)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar or organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, flax meal, sugar, salt, and 1⁄8 teaspoon of the cinnamon in a medium bowl.
Beat together the egg whites, coconut milk, coconut oil, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Add to the flour mixture and whisk well until combined. Let stand for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Coat the bottom and sides of a 10-inch ovenproof skillet with cooking spray.
- Combine the stevia and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl; sprinkle half of the mixture evenly over bottom and sides of the pan.
Arrange the apple slices in the pan in a single layer, in a spoke pattern.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon mixture.
Cook over medium heat undisturbed until the mixture bubbles, about 8 minutes.
Carefully pour the batter evenly over the apple slices.
- Transfer to the oven, being careful not to spill the batter, and bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and bake until the center is set, about 13 minutes.
Cool for 5 minutes, then gently loosen the pancake from the skillet with a spatula and slide onto a serving platter.
- Sift the confectioners’ sugar over the top.
Cut into 6 wedges and serve warm.