Rainbow Stuffed Peppers
Rainbow Stuffed Peppers Recipe
By May 15, 2015Published:
[vc_row][vc_column width="1/1"][vc_column_text disable_pattern="true" align="left" …
- 6 red, yellow, orange or green peppers, or a combination
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 2-3 tbsp raw coconut oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cups finely chopped kale
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 cup minced basil
- 2 tsp Celtic or Himalayan sea salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp low-sodium tamari
- Pre-prep: Be sure to soak the quinoa overnight in water and rinse well before using.
- Instructions For Preparing The Peppers:
Make an incision at the rounded top of each pepper, about 1 to 1 1/ 2 inches from the stem. Cut all around the stem in an even circle. Then pull out the stem and the seeds. Discard stem, and save the rest of the pepper top to chop and add to the filling. If necessary, clean out any remaining seeds from inside the pepper and discard.
- Place water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat, add the quinoa and simmer until the water is absorbed and the grains become translucent and soft (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Pour the quinoa through a strainer and set it to the side in a bowl.
Sauté the garlic in the coconut oil until gently cooked, then add the onions, and stir until the onions become translucent
- Add the broccoli, kale, carrot, chopped pepper tops (from preparing the peppers) and basil, and cook gently for a few minutes.
Add the sea salt and other seasonings to the veggie mixture and stir it up!
- Add the cooked quinoa and mix everything together well. Adjust the seasonings to your taste. The mixture should taste slightly saltier than your taste, as the seasoning will be less concentrated when we stuff the plain bell peppers.
- Once you are satisfied with your filling, spoon it into each pepper, right up to the top.
Place the peppers tightly together in a glass baking dish so they remain upright.
Bake at 350 ° F for 45 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil just before serving.